- A sturdy hunting dog of a breed with a long body, short legs, and big ears.More example sentences
- In my experience, the basset and Rottweilers are great apartment dogs.
- He stroked the short, bristled fur of his basset hound.
- The girl, who had been drawing her hands down her face in worry, stopped mid-action causing her eyes to droop like those of a basset hound.
early 17th century: from French, diminutive of bas 'low', from medieval Latin bassus 'short'.
More definitions of basset houndDefinition of basset hound in:
- The British & World English dictionary