Definition of basswood in English:
A North American linden tree, commonly planted along streets.
- Genus Tilia, family Tiliaceae: several species, in particular the large-leaved T. americana (also called American linden) of the northern US and Canada
- Except for a few looming hemlocks, the forest is mostly hardwoods, and the light streams through the thinning tops of the taller oaks and basswoods.
- Walnut trees can also grow in small groups or as scattered specimens mixed with American elm, hackberry, boxelder, sugar maple, green and white ash, basswood, red oak, and hickory.
- In contrast, a bee-pollinated basswood can flower a month or more after the leaf buds have opened, when bee populations peak in late summer.
Words that rhyme with basswoodsandalwood • sapwood
Definition of basswood in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan