Definition of bast in English:
noun(also bast fiber)
1Fibrous material from the phloem of a plant, used as fiber in matting, cord, etc.
- It wasn't unknown for the ribs for example to be lashed in place with bast fibre cords, that were soaked in pitch to preserve them.
- They are made from papyrus root, bast fiber, and banana leaves and are decorated with mud dyes in elaborate patterns.
- Linen is from flax, a bast fiber taken from the stalk of the plant.
1.1 Botany The phloem or vascular tissue of a plant.
- Ramie is also similar to linen and is a bast of plant fiber.
- The four groupings are: seed-hair fibers, leaf fibers, bast fibers, and miscellaneous fibers.
- There was a clear deficiency of bast fibre along the length of the mutant stem.
Words that rhyme with bastcineaste • encomiast
Definition of bast in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.