historical or archaic
1Relating to the ancient Germanic people who inhabited the island of Betuwe between the Rhine and the Waal (now part of the Netherlands).
- He was a Batavian nobleman of equestrian status, which meant that his family had amassed a fortune of over 400,000 sesterces, the property qualification for entry into the equestrian order.
- The Batavian revolution of 1795 abolished the special privileges of the Protestants and offered both Jews and Catholics a chance to initiate significant improvements in their condition.
- His favorite types include red or green ‘Deer Tongue’, and Batavian (crisp-head) lettuces such as ‘Rouge Grenobloise’.
1.1Relating to the people of the Netherlands.
- In 1798 Holland and Switzerland had both become unitary and democratic republics, the Batavian and the Helvetic, under the patronage of the Directory.
- The destruction of the Dutch fleet at Camperdown only confirmed the contempt felt in Paris for the ineffectiveness of the Batavians.
- In 1659, as a measure of the esteem in which he was held Flinck was commissioned to paint a cycle of twelve large history paintings for the new town hall in Amsterdam illustrating The Revolt of the Batavians.
1.2Relating to Jakarta in Indonesia (formerly the Dutch East Indies).
- ‘It is a reflection of the 400 year-long melting of the Chinese, Sundanese and Batavian cultures,’ said Yampolsky, who conducted research on Betawi music between 1990 and 1999.
- A china vase and Batavian chest on display in the colonial room belie the rationalization of the colonial enterprise as a selfless mission of civilization.
- Over a century and a half ago, few Batavians would have believed that Tanjung Priok, then an insignificant area of North Jakarta, would someday become the busiest international seaport in Indonesia.
A Batavian person.
- In 50 BCE the Batavians came to what is now know as The Netherlands.
- The Batavians came out of the Medway beyond the British lines and make their way behind the Britons towards the chariots.
- The Batavians fought in the name of Vespasian so they could have stopped their uprising.
Words that rhyme with Batavianavian, Flavian, Moldavian, Moravian, Octavian, Scandinavian, Shavian
Definition of Batavian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.