historical or archaic
1Relating to the ancient Germanic people who inhabited the island of Betuwe between the Rhine and the Waal (now part of the Netherlands).
- He was a Batavian nobleman of equestrian status, which meant that his family had amassed a fortune of over 400,000 sesterces, the property qualification for entry into the equestrian order.
- The Batavian revolution of 1795 abolished the special privileges of the Protestants and offered both Jews and Catholics a chance to initiate significant improvements in their condition.
- His favorite types include red or green ‘Deer Tongue’, and Batavian (crisp-head) lettuces such as ‘Rouge Grenobloise’.
1.1Relating to the people of the Netherlands.
- In 1798 Holland and Switzerland had both become unitary and democratic republics, the Batavian and the Helvetic, under the patronage of the Directory.
- The destruction of the Dutch fleet at Camperdown only confirmed the contempt felt in Paris for the ineffectiveness of the Batavians.
- In 1659, as a measure of the esteem in which he was held Flinck was commissioned to paint a cycle of twelve large history paintings for the new town hall in Amsterdam illustrating The Revolt of the Batavians.
1.2Relating to Jakarta in Indonesia (formerly the Dutch East Indies).
- ‘It is a reflection of the 400 year-long melting of the Chinese, Sundanese and Batavian cultures,’ said Yampolsky, who conducted research on Betawi music between 1990 and 1999.
- A china vase and Batavian chest on display in the colonial room belie the rationalization of the colonial enterprise as a selfless mission of civilization.
- Over a century and a half ago, few Batavians would have believed that Tanjung Priok, then an insignificant area of North Jakarta, would someday become the busiest international seaport in Indonesia.
A Batavian person.
- In 50 BCE the Batavians came to what is now know as The Netherlands.
- The Batavians came out of the Medway beyond the British lines and make their way behind the Britons towards the chariots.
- The Batavians fought in the name of Vespasian so they could have stopped their uprising.
Words that rhyme with Batavianavian, Flavian, Moldavian, Moravian, Octavian, Scandinavian, Shavian
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Batavian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.