noun (plural same or batfishes)
1A fish of tropical and temperate seas with a flattened body that is round or almost triangular when viewed from above. It typically has a hard or spiny covering.
- Family Ogcocephalidae: several genera and species, including the southern African Halieuta fitzsimonsi.
- We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.
- It is a relative easy, shallow dive with a maximum depth of about 45 ft, with nice hard coral formation and friendly batfish and moray eels.
- The legs (they're pectoral fins, really) allow batfish to crawl about the seafloor.
2A deep-bodied, laterally compressed marine fish of the Indo-Pacific region that resembles an angelfish.
- Genus Platax, family Ephippidae: several species, including the large P. pinnatus (also called angelfish).
- These include the flashlight fish in the Indo-Pacific, the rosy-lipped batfish of the Galapagos and Cocos islands, and unbelievably vividly coloured Spanish dancers.
- Unfortunately the visibility is a milky 5m, though this doesn't detract from the huge shoals of snapper and the angelfish, batfish and giant grouper that call this oasis home.
- Soft corals sway with the current, while schools of striped and spotted groupers, angelfish, batfish and lionfish dart between them.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of batfish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.