- An instrument used to measure the depth of water in oceans, seas, or lakes.More example sentences
- Submersibles were equipped with special devices called bathymeters for taking water samples from the ocean bed.
- He helped to build, test, and use airborne remote sensing instruments including a multichannel ocean color sensor, a laser oil fluorosensor, and a laser bathymeter.
- Samples were collected in 10-liter plastic bathymeters at horizons of 0, 5, 10, 20, 30, 50m. Samples from each horizon were poured into two transparent and two dark 250 ml bottles with the addition of 1 ml NaHCO 3 of 2 microcurie activity.
late 19th century: from Greek bathos 'depth' + -meter.
More definitions of bathymeterDefinition of bathymeter in:
- The British & World English dictionary