- 1A method (originally used in Java) of producing colored designs on textiles by dyeing them, having first applied wax to the parts to be left undyed.More example sentences
- Together with their three children, Runi and Adrian have developed a new company which specializes in textiles, batik and jewelry items made of wood, bronze, porcelain and leather.
- He is one of the new generation of pioneers in batik design, which he makes on textured woven fabric with the play of soft color gradation.
- It is said that there are over 3,000 batik designs that include Indian, Chinese and Buddhist patterns including indigenous motifs of local fruits and flowers.
- 1.1Cloth that has been dyed using the batik method.More example sentences
- This film has compelling intersecting historical references via the dress of the 18th century and the African batiks (cloth designs) of today.
- Beaded cloth from India, Indonesian batiks, and Hawaiian tapa are perfect for pillows or throws.
- I have always liked doing both fabric and paper batiks.
late 19th century: from Javanese, literally 'painted'.
More definitions of batikDefinition of batik in:
- The British & World English dictionary