noun[with modifier] Ballet
- A movement in which one leg is moved outward from the body and in again: performing battements tendusMore example sentences
- Balanchine used them all and routinely transformed the ballet battement into an acrobatic kick, allowing the hip to be lifted - another ballet ‘no-no.’
- Students might show four or five quick exercises: plie tendu, fond de jambe, adagio, and grande battement.
- ‘Yvonne is very strong in teaching you the way you stand, the way you do grand battements,’ she said.
mid 19th century: French, literally 'beating'.
More definitions of battementDefinition of battement in:
- The British & World English dictionary