- 1A large broad-bladed ax used in ancient warfare.More example sentences
- Weaponry consisted of battleaxes, thrusting spears and daggers for the infantry, while the leaders in their battlewagons carry sheafs of javelins.
- Most of the Order of Tomanâk's knights were medium or heavy horse who fought with lance, sword, battleaxe, or mace.
- They armed themselves with a range of dangerous weapons such as battleaxes and knives deployed in frequent fights for control and authority in and around the mining complexes.
- 2 • informal A formidably aggressive older woman.More example sentences
- So I went to Woolworths (I wasn't going to confront one of those painted battleaxes in House of Fraser) and bought some brown mascara.
- Women in uniform were portrayed as brainless glamour girls, in the military for a good time, or as man-hating battleaxes.
- The town's most eligible young widow - well, older than he is by about ten years, but still, far from being the battleaxe he'd imagined her to be - is definitely coming on to him.