Definition of battle cry in English:
1A word or phrase shouted by soldiers going into battle to express solidarity and intimidate the enemy.
- Both hunters quickly mounted and shouted a barbaric battle cry to their enemies.
- With that being said, all the other generals, and even the guards shouted the battle cry, confident of the victory in upcoming battles.
- But those words were like a battle cry ringing inside my head.
1.1A slogan expressing the ideals of people promoting a cause.
- Annie articulates the new feminist battle cry.
- These 14 words, the battle cry for many white supremacists, are accredited to David Lane, once a member of The Order and now in prison.
- Thus, Ralph Waldo Emerson shouts the battle cry of modernity: ‘Trust thyself.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia