Definition of battue in English:
1The driving of game toward hunters by beaters.
- Heavy investment was made in the nineteenth century in rearing thousands of pheasants for leisured slaughter in the battue.
- Researching the meaning of the word "battue" gives some indication of such a rifle's intended purpose, which is to rapidly acquire and shoot multiple animals in something approaching a stampede.
- More than a hunt, battue is a social activity where people enjoy the same passion and spend time together.
1.1A hunting party arranged by driving game toward hunters by beaters.
- But any improvement in relations was temporary, for further improvements in guns led to vast battues, in which 1,000 birds might be shot in one day.
- In some clubs or associations it's forbidden to hunt antlered stag in battue.
- A head of the hunt in a battue may be a person who has passed an aptitude test in the State Forest Service and has received a head of the hunts certificate.
Definition of battue in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan