adjective (battier, battiest)informal
Crazy; insane: you’ll drive me batty!
More example sentences
- I expected her to be all talked out on the subject of her great love; in fact she mentions Gainsbourg first, then evokes his memory repeatedly over the next hour, in which she's charming, if somewhat batty, company.
- When I'm old and grey and either too batty, too jaded or simply too wise to care much about social propriety and the trivia of a speeding fine, I will be buying myself a Micra and the A-roads will be mine.
- I looked at the audience and thought: how come it is always these people, or their fathers, grandfathers, cousins and batty aunts, who find their way into clubs?
- Example sentences
- She smiles somewhat battily and nods: ‘I'm the one with personality!’
- Sadly, she was too battily flustered to provide me with the recipe.
- At one level there is something battily wonderful about this attitude - but it is also appalling.
- Example sentences
- This particular newspaper - for argument's sake, let's call it the Daily Express - often contains views of extreme toxicity and general battiness.
- The dozen books of Rumpole short stories endure as a gorgeous chronicle of English class battiness and the absurdities of the law.
- She is an eccentric in the fashion of a good many English women who have taken to the East, i.e. a mixture of battiness and extreme practicality.
Words that rhyme with battybratty, catty, chatty, Cincinnati, Dolcelatte, fatty, flattie, Hattie, natty, patty, ratty, Satie, Scarlatti, scatty, Tati, tattie, tatty
Entry from British & World English dictionary
nounWest Indian informal
A person’s bottom.
- You're never far from a party and a sound system in Jamaica, whether you want to shake your batty to the latest dancehall mixes or sink rum punches at sundown.
- Shake your batty low, shake your batty high; don't ask me, who, where, when or why.
- You cannot just sit on your batty at home watching granada men and motors.
1930s: representing a pronunciation of botty.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.