Definition of beachcomber in English:
1A vagrant who makes a living by searching beaches for articles of value and selling them.
- The beachcombers were able to gather and hide a rich harvest before the local magistrate learned of the Spanish wrecks and claimed the treasure in the Queen's name.
- No vehicles on beaches means the area is protected from fishermen, beachcombers and hunter/gatherers alike.
- The only people you see are beachcombers and dog-walkers in their flapping macs
2A person who searches beaches for useful or interesting items.
- Progress is seen in the water - usually by nameless surfers, sometimes by buddies, perhaps by a passing seal or beachcomber.
- Bears eat family pets in their own yards, and the quicksand mud flats on Anchorage's outskirts have claimed more than one beachcomber.
- Mrs. Wilhelm, an avid horsewoman and beachcomber, had the foyer decorated with an elaborate trompe l' oeil of the beach.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan