A small sturdy hound of a breed with a coat of medium length, bred especially for hunting.
- Areas of disagreement is that the impact of hunting with hounds and beagles, we are not actually quite clear whether they have any significant impact on hare numbers overall.
- For example, the beagle is a hunting dog and was trained to bark when it spotted the prey.
- The date is also traditionally the first day of hunting meets and foxhounds, lurchers, greyhounds, beagles, minkhounds, terriers and other hunting dogs will all be taken along to Higham.
- Example sentences
- The beaglers I used to run across South Yorkshire with were mostly unemployed and retired foundry workers from Sheffield's steelworks.
- In the same way beaglers enjoy running with the dogs.
- Friday around noon beaglers from across the country start showing up ready to trade dogs and swap lies.
Late 15th century: perhaps from Old French beegueule 'open-mouthed', from beer 'open wide' + gueule 'throat'.
Words that rhyme with beagleeagle, illegal, legal, paralegal, regal, spread eagle, viceregal
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.