- A small sturdy hound of a breed with a coat of medium length, bred especially for hunting.More example sentences
- Areas of disagreement is that the impact of hunting with hounds and beagles, we are not actually quite clear whether they have any significant impact on hare numbers overall.
- For example, the beagle is a hunting dog and was trained to bark when it spotted the prey.
- The date is also traditionally the first day of hunting meets and foxhounds, lurchers, greyhounds, beagles, minkhounds, terriers and other hunting dogs will all be taken along to Higham.
- More example sentences
- The beaglers I used to run across South Yorkshire with were mostly unemployed and retired foundry workers from Sheffield's steelworks.
- In the same way beaglers enjoy running with the dogs.
- Friday around noon beaglers from across the country start showing up ready to trade dogs and swap lies.
late 15th century: perhaps from Old French beegueule 'open-mouthed', from beer 'open wide' + gueule 'throat'.
More definitions of beagleDefinition of beagle in:
- The British & World English dictionary