Definition of beaker in English:
1A lipped cylindrical glass container for laboratory use.
- Inside the room-sized locker they built a virtual laboratory - complete with beakers, funnels, jars, glass tubes, transfer pumps and vats of chemicals.
- On the north side of the room was Dipper's Magic shop, which was rather humble, comprising only a few shelves behind a counter upon which rested beakers and glass containers of what Doremi recognized were common spell components.
- I'd anticipated him working inside a Back-To-The-Future kind of laboratory with bubbling beakers, coiled yellow electrical wire, and a suffocating sense of disarray.
1.1 archaic or literary A large drinking container with a wide mouth.
- The imitations imply knowledge of imported origins and, in fact, the Divari tombs did contain Augustan-period beakers of Italian thin-walled ware.
- The beaker in front of the first pitcher is a prize example of Anthony Rasch's New Orleans work, about 1825 to 1835.
- Other discoveries include a wooden beaker, barbed arrowheads and armour.
1.2 Archaeology A waisted pot characteristic of graves of the Beaker folk.
- Excavated in 1911, the primary burial dates to about 2500 BC and comprised a crouched inhumation in a cist accompanied by a beaker, bone pin, and flint tools.
- From the near vicinity, there is a small beaker in Romano-British style from a grave at Little Wittenham, embellished with scenes depicting episodes in the life of Christ.
- They included a pair of gold earrings, three copper knives, five beakers, two sets of flint tools, two stone archer's wristguards and a number of arrowheads.
Middle English (in the sense 'large drinking container'): from Old Norse bikarr, perhaps based on Greek bikos 'drinking bowl'.
Words that rhyme with beakerCosta Rica, Dominica, eureka, Frederica, Griqua, jobseeker, leaker, loudspeaker, seeker, shrieker, sika, sneaker, speaker, squeaker, streaker, Tanganyika, theca, tikka, Topeka, wreaker
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.