A person, typically an accountant or bureaucrat, perceived as placing excessive emphasis on controlling expenditure and budgets.
- Enter the bean counter as Southwest's costs grow
- A bean counter will say you should respond by cutting in other places, which usually means shifting the burden onto other people, especially your employees.
- As a small business owner, you are not only the head honcho, but also the bean counter, chief salesman, IT boffin, tax specialist and marketing guru too.
bean counting noun
- Example sentences
- In these days of corporate bean counting and environmental awareness, main-stream car manufacturers very rarely make anything just for the sheer hell of it.
- Although far from being infallible, the entire enterprise of citation index and impact factor is better than the alternative, straightforward bean counting.
- The publish-or-perish emphasis for some, but not all, institutions has deteriorated into bean counting, and the race is on to publish en masse.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: bean count·er
Definition of bean counter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.