Definition of bean counter in English:
A person, typically an accountant or bureaucrat, perceived as placing excessive emphasis on controlling expenditure and budgets.
- Enter the bean counter as Southwest's costs grow
- A bean counter will say you should respond by cutting in other places, which usually means shifting the burden onto other people, especially your employees.
- As a small business owner, you are not only the head honcho, but also the bean counter, chief salesman, IT boffin, tax specialist and marketing guru too.
bean counting noun
- Example sentences
- In these days of corporate bean counting and environmental awareness, main-stream car manufacturers very rarely make anything just for the sheer hell of it.
- Although far from being infallible, the entire enterprise of citation index and impact factor is better than the alternative, straightforward bean counting.
- The publish-or-perish emphasis for some, but not all, institutions has deteriorated into bean counting, and the race is on to publish en masse.
Definition of bean counter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan