Definition of bearish in English:
1Resembling or likened to a bear, typically in being rough, surly, or clumsy: a bearish figure with muttonchop whiskers
More example sentences
- As Arnoldo, tenor Chris Merritt is a lumbering, bearish presence.
- The types we got at B&Q were young couples, old crusty workmen blokes, middle-aged couples, pensioners (usually on a Wednesday) and the odd beefy bearish labourer.
- ‘That was the last time I'll go in a light aircraft,’ he repeats, sitting in a London cafe, his face a bearish bristle of hair, topping a navy blazer and jeans.
2.1(Of a dealer) inclined to sell because of an anticipated fall in prices.
- Professional bond traders are overwhelmingly bearish on interest rates, expecting the 10-year yield to climb this year toward 5 percent.
- In our last publicly posted research note we made the case for a sharp rally in crude oil off the $40 lows on the grounds that it was oversold relative to the price of gold and that traders were overly bearish.
- Now the number crunchers and analysts are providing the figures to support our bearish assumptions.
- Example sentences
- Some analysts bearishly predict the market is about to ‘top out‘.
- Was anyone else disturbed by yesterday's ‘will I greet him or will I biff him’ handshake so bearishly and boorishly inflicted on the PM?
- At 46, he's 6ft 5in, bearishly built, with a strong jaw and a nose that has taken the scenic route down his face.
- Example sentences
- Part of the answer may lie in the peculiar economic euphoria of the mid- and late '90s, when bearishness began to seem unpatriotic and prosperity looked like a permanent entitlement.
- As bearishness has spread across the globe, investors have been quick to take profits and withdraw from riskier areas such as emerging markets.
- Only an extreme bullish reading on the Bullish Review would indicate uncommon bullishness of the commodity commitments; likewise, only an extreme bearish reading would indicate uncommon bearishness.
Words that rhyme with bearishfairish, garish, squarish
Definition of bearish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.