Definition of beater in English:
1.1A person employed to flush out or drive game animals for shooting by striking at the ground cover.
- As employing beaters for driven shoots is expensive, there has been a big rise in ‘walked-up’ shoots, when a small group of gunmen walk across land and drive their own birds up into the air.
- A detachment of young peasants had been designated as beaters.
- Professional beaters will be called in by Bradford Council to drive birds on to privately-owned adjoining moors where grouse shoots still take place.
2An implement or machine used for beating.
- Once dry, it was again collected on drays, and back it went to the mill to be fed through a machine with wooden beaters, called a scutcher.
- Fire-fighting tools such as beaters and knapsack sprayers should be to hand and ready to use.
- A helicopter was placed on standby to assist as steady winds fanned the flames despite firefighters and National Park officials directing six hosereel jets on to the fire and beating out hotspots with rubber beaters.
4North American informal A dilapidated but serviceable car: If you provide the kids with a car, give them an old beater
More example sentences
- I have a Lincoln LS that Claudia drives most of the time, and then I have an old beater Lumina van that I chase parts in.
- He drove 25 miles to Sioux Falls, where a family friend spotted the old beater and called the police.
- Got back in the car, started their car again, which is a bit of an old beater, and it backfired, apparently.
Words that rhyme with beaterAkita, Anita, arboreta, beta, Bhagavadgita, cheater, cheetah, Demeter, Dieter, dolce vita, eater, eta, Evita, excreta, fetor, granita, greeter, heater, Juanita, litre (US liter), Lolita, maltreater, margarita, meter, metre, Peta, praetor (US pretor), repeater, Rita, saltpetre (US saltpeter), secretor, Senhorita, señorita, Sita, skeeter, teeter, terra incognita, theta, treater, tweeter, ureter, veleta, zeta
Definition of beater in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan