Definition of beautiful in English:
1Pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically: beautiful poetry a beautiful young woman the mountains were calm and beautiful
More example sentences
- He was now short and fat with a red face, but in some deeper sense he was very beautiful.
- Everyone turned and looked at a handsome young man in a beautiful hat, called Mike.
- Right from day one she always loved school and she has grown into a beautiful young lady.
informal divine, drop-dead gorgeous, easy on the eye, killer, cute, foxy
1.1Of a very high standard; excellent: the house had been left in beautiful order she spoke in beautiful English
More example sentences
- He had a beautiful singing voice and a sharp sense of humour, but was also a morose weekend drunk.
- In the movie, Ignacio sings in the choir and has a beautiful voice, as young Pedro did.
- In other news a guy at the pool said I was a beautiful swimmer, commenting on my butterfly.
the beautiful people
- Is it only the feeling of the rich, the affluent, the elite, the beautiful people, the upper classes and the rising middle classes?
- From time to time, it's fun to have a night out in a glamorous place filled with beautiful people and the cash doesn't really matter.
- The E went from illustrating backwater strip mall mentality to a symbol of the New York elite, the beautiful people.
- It's by Bill Gibb, the farm boy from Buchan who grew up to become the darling of the beautiful people in the late 1960s and '70s, and who is about to have his fashion moment again.
- Then in came the beautiful people on four motorcycles, right into the ballroom, oozing with flower-power.
- These were the beautiful people; the In-Crowd in which the Beatles sing about in "Baby You're a Rich Man".
the body beautiful
- An ideal of physical beauty.Example sentences
- One of the more intelligent and articulate athletes in the sport, Prince ruminated on the irony of his current public role as a representative of the body beautiful, whose body seemed to be breaking down internally.
- The ideal of the body beautiful is contrasted with the reality of the battered, bulging, diseased, ageing, and, yes, often toothless bodies of real humans.
- I mean you've put the beauty myth and relationships and the body beautiful up on the screen and scrutinised it over and over again.
1Fashionable, glamorous, and privileged people.
2(In the 1960s) hippies.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan