Definition of beaux arts in English:
- Taking them from the boat and onto the glacial formations of art history required explaining how conceptual art differed from the beaux arts of classical painting or sculpture.
- In the beaux arts as well as in real life, law is the cornerstone upon which everything lies.
- That is where she will study the Beaux Arts and specialise in sculpture.
2 (usually Beaux Arts) [as modifier] Relating to the classical decorative style maintained by the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris, especially in the 19th century.
- Most axes - the axis of the earth, for example, or the crossed axes of a Beaux Arts building - are not only clear but stable and, we hope, permanent.
- Subsequently, a Beaux Arts tradition flourished in the early twentieth century as these architects returned to China to practise, teach and establish university curriculums.
- We have encountered this Beaux Arts quadraxial method before.
from French beaux-arts.
Definition of beaux arts in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan