A brightly colored insectivorous bird with a large head and a long down-curved bill, and typically with long central tail feathers.
- Family Meropidae: three genera, in particular Merops, and including the European bee-eater (M. apiaster)
More example sentences
- Yet another time, near the hamlet of Pelayo, I could hardly see the sky because it was filled with common, pallid and alpine swifts, bee-eaters and house martins.
- For bird watchers there are Somali bee-eaters, rosy-patched shrike, golden-breasted starling and golden pipit.
- A kingfisher and bee-eaters were perched in the trees next to the pond.
Definition of bee-eater in:
- The British & World English dictionary