Definition of bee fly in English:
A squat, hairy, beelike fly that hovers to feed from flowers using its long tongue. Its larvae usually parasitize other insects, especially bees and wasps.
- Family Bombyllidae: many genera
- Bee flies favour warm, and sunny localities
- I most often see bee flies hovering around flowers, or if resting, usually on the ground, on bare soil.
- A bee fly is nectaring on the blossom.
Definition of bee fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.