noun(also beech tree)
A large tree with smooth gray bark, glossy leaves, and hard, pale, fine-grained timber. Its fruit, the beechnut, is an important food for numerous wild birds and mammals.
- Genera Fagus (of the north temperate zone) and Notofagus (the southern beeches, of Australasia and South America), family Fagaceae: many species, especially the common American beech (F. grandifolia) and the European beech (F. sylvatica)
More example sentences
- Suppose you are like me and cannot tell an elm tree from a beech tree.
- Nestled amid those trails and orange red maples, oaks, beeches and birches was the Lost River.
- Oaks, sycamores and beeches dotted well-tended lawns bordered by tarmacked paths and signposted at every junction.
Definition of beech in:
- The British & World English dictionary