- A broomrape that is parasitic on the roots of beech trees. Unlike most broomrapes, it has branching stems.
More example sentences
- Epifagus virginiana, family Orobanchaceae
- Peculiar, parasitic beechdrops grow on the roots of beech trees; squawroot, another plant devoid of chlorophyll, gains its nutrition from the leaf litter.
- Like Indian pipes, beechdrops have none of the chlorophyll of most plants and thus are not green.
- The dried stems of beechdrops can often be found through the winter.