A straight line between two places.
- James kept walking toward the front of the school in a straight beeline for their rented silver Nissan Altima.
- He zoomed in and out of the slower traffic, making a direct beeline for the USS Golden Phoenix.
- The beeline sidewalk that shot straight up to the front door was ripped out and replaced by a gently curving, gently climbing brick-lined path.
make a beeline for
- Hurry directly to.Example sentences
- At this point, the focal point of the crowd rested on the door as everyone made a beeline for outside.
- The lift bumped to a gentle stop at the ground floor and the doors opened, Catherine hurried out straight away and made a beeline for the exit.
- Ever since the baby was born, visitors to the zoo are making a beeline for the hippo enclosure to see the new arrival.
Early 19th century: with reference to the straight line supposedly taken instinctively by a bee when returning to the hive.
Words that rhyme with beelinefeline, treeline
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of beeline in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.