Definition of beet in English:
1A herbaceous plant widely cultivated as a source of food for humans and livestock, and for processing into sugar. Some varieties are grown for their leaves and some for their large nutritious root.
- Beta vulgaris, family Chenopodiaceae: several subspecies
- In agriculture the main products are meat and dairy, potatoes, sugar beets, barley, wheat, and turnips.
- It also contained two to three times the sugar content of sugar cane or sugar beets - think sugared cereal for cows.
- The main crops are wheat, corn, sugar beets, sunflower seeds, and wine grapes.
2.1The variety of beet that produces a dark red edible root, eaten as a vegetable.
- Beta vulgaris subsp. vulgaris
- After planting the beetroot, the children were shown how to create their own pot plants out of newspaper.
- I've also planted a few beetroot seeds and I'm planning on doing a few more tomorrow and on starting the carrots.
- I also dug up a few of the beetroot plants, but they haven't formed roots yet.
Words that rhyme with beetaccrete, autocomplete, bittersweet, bleat, cheat, cleat, clubfeet, compete, compleat, complete, conceit, Crete, deceit, delete, deplete, discreet, discrete, eat, effete, élite, entreat, escheat, estreat, excrete, feat, feet, fleet, gîte, greet, heat, leat, leet, Magritte, maltreat, marguerite, meat, meet, meet-and-greet, mesquite, mete, mistreat, neat, outcompete, peat, Pete, petite, pleat, receipt, replete, sangeet, seat, secrete, sheet, skeet, sleet, splay-feet, street, suite, sweet, teat, treat, tweet, wheat
Definition of beet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.