verb (befits, befitting, befitted)[with object]
Be appropriate for; suit: the ballet ends nobly, as befits a tragedy (as adjective befitting) I answered in a befitting manner
More example sentences
- This should ensure us that the trial in question would be carried out in the most appropriate and befitting manner.
- Already he wore the light and baggy silvered suit befitting his rank and his boots were on.
- With a physique that suited and befitted the characters allotted to him, Ranjith had an upper hand in the scenes he was involved in.
- Example sentences
- The majority of the audience was represented by parents of children who are currently in grades 11 or 12, and who will be the guinea pigs, as one mother befittingly put it, for the new admissions systems.
- The day was the climax of elaborate festivities to commemorate, and befittingly so, Zambia's peaceful journey of 40 years.
- The doors, befittingly, were huge, wooden monstrosities that creaked and led into a small atrium, with two more doors at the other end.
Words that rhyme with befitacquit, admit, backlit, bedsit, bit, Brit, Britt, chit, commit, demit, dit, emit, fit, flit, frit, git, grit, hit, intermit, it, kit, knit, legit, lickety-split, lit, manumit, mishit, mitt, nit, omit, outsit, outwit, permit, pit, Pitt, pretermit, quit, remit, retrofit, sit, skit, slit, snit, spit, split, sprit, squit, submit, transmit, twit, whit, wit, writ, zit
Definition of befit in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.