- A herbaceous plant of warm climates, the bright flowers of which have brightly colored sepals but no petals. Numerous cultivated varieties of begonia are grown for their flowers or for their striking foliage.
More example sentences
- Genus Begonia, family Begoniaceae
- Together with gladioli, lilies and begonias, the dahlias are one of the most important and popular summer-flowering bulbs.
- My yard always looked so nice and clean with its daylilies and begonias around each planted pine tree in the front yard.
- Summer annuals such as petunias, impatiens and begonias need warmer temperatures to thrive.
modern Latin, named after Michel Bégon (1638–1710), French amateur botanist who discovered the plant on the island of Santo Domingo and introduced it to Europe.
More definitions of begoniaDefinition of begonia in:
- The British & World English dictionary