Definition of begum in English:
1A Muslim lady of high rank.
- The begum who owned Liberty Theatre allowed them in to see movies for free as they were neighbours and he has a strong memory of how she would drive a convertible with great style.
- You will, of course, need a driver to drop and pick the children from school and, more importantly, to take the begum out for shopping and to her coffee parties.
- There was a pause and the begum looked up, I think to see if I was secretly laughing at her memories: ‘It's up to you whether you want to believe all this,’ she said simply.
1.1 (Begum) The title of a married Muslim woman, equivalent to Mrs.
- After moving to Bradford in the mid-1990s, he married a Muslim woman, Shaffia Begum, in June 1995.
- An Indian Foreign Ministry spokesman said Musharraf and his wife Begum will visit India July 14-16 and the summit would take place in Agra, an ancient city in northern India and home to the Taj Mahal.
- And that's just when I refuse to take the Begum to buy new shoes.
From Urdu begam, from eastern Turkish bigim 'princess', feminine of big 'prince'.
Definition of begum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.