noun(in phrase on (US also in) behalf of or on someone's/something's behalf)
- 1In the interests of a person, group, or principle: votes cast by labor unions on behalf of their membersMore example sentences
in the interests of, in support of, for, for the benefit of, for the good of, for the sake of
- In turn, the organization will negotiate on your behalf for lower interest rates and a more convenient payment option.
- The hospital is also keen to hear from those interested in fundraising on its behalf.
- In the previously more common subsidized loan, the state pays the interest on the student 's behalf while he or she is attending school.
- 2As a representative of: he had to attend the funeral on Mama’s behalfMore example sentences
- I'm selling this on behalf of my soon-to-be Mother-in-Law (who doesn't "get" eBay).
- On behalf of my family and my father, I'd like to thank the council and the city of Los Angeles for this great honor.
- On behalf of my colleagues it gives me pleasure to welcome Mark on to the Board of Directors.
- 3On the part of; done by: this wasn’t simply a philanthropic gesture on his behalfMore example sentences
- It is a gesture of goodwill on behalf of the retailer to allow the sweater to be changed for one of a different colour or size.
- This represents a compromise on behalf of the surgeon.
- It's a nice gesture on their behalf.