- I think of him as a friend, and he has always behaved like a gentleman whenever I see him.
- And you can tell a lot about a woman by how she behaves towards her nanny.
- The club claims that the man behaved violently towards a Union officer who was collecting entrance fees and had to be restrained by security staff on hand.
- Some thought that water waves behaved differently from acoustic or other waves, or from pulses along a string.
- Phenomena that we previously thought of as waves can sometimes behave like particles.
- Energy behaves and performs in ways and manners that are different from matter, although there might be some similarities.
- It is only because you have admitted the breach of this order at the earliest opportunity and fortunately you were behaving yourself in that pizza take-away that we are not going to send you to prison.
- ‘People think you should be behaving yourself at 54,’ says Spencer, ‘they think you should have said what you've got to say.’
- He wound his window down and asked, ‘Are you behaving yourself?’
Behave is from be- ‘thoroughly’ and have in the sense ‘have or bear (oneself) in a particular way’; this corresponds to modern German sich behaben.
Words that rhyme with behavebrave, Cave, clave, concave, crave, Dave, deprave, engrave, enslave, fave, forgave, gave, grave, knave, lave, Maeve, misbehave, misgave, nave, outbrave, pave, rave, save, shave, shortwave, slave, stave, they've, waive, wave
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.