Definition of bell jar in English:
1A bell-shaped glass cover used for covering delicate objects or used in a laboratory, typically for enclosing samples.
- A one gramme weight is placed on the scale pan of an electronic balance and the balance is covered by a glass bell jar.
- In the white void opposite, he has placed a glass bell jar containing an auction hammer.
- I think there's a great deal of misunderstanding about what emptiness is, the idea that emptiness is something that happens under a bell jar when you exhaust all the air from it.
2An environment in which someone is protected or cut off from the outside world: let him stay in his bell jar of perfectionist concentration
More example sentences
- Everything seems safely enclosed in a bell jar of the most delicate glass… But inside me there is no peace.
- To the person in the bell jar… the world itself is a bad dream.
- There's me, pleading with my friends to let go of the emotions making them ill and here I am in my own bell jar, not for the attention but for the quiet, you see.
Definition of bell jar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.