A beautiful girl or woman, especially the most beautiful at a particular event or in a particular group: the belle of the season
More example sentences
- In a tribute to these stunning stars, I have chosen to profile some of the most beautiful Hollywood belles of all time.
- Saratoga may have been filled with beautiful belles, he acknowledges - but his own eldest daughter was ‘the loveliest of them all.’
- You could doll her up - and Hollywood did - all you wanted, and she'd be the prettiest belle at the ball.
early 17th century: from French, feminine of beau, from Latin bella, feminine of bellus 'beautiful'.
belle of the ball
- The most beautiful and popular girl or woman at a dance.More example sentences
- It was one of those great occasions in town, highlighted by selecting the belle of the ball at the dance that night.
- She's the belle of the ball, the queen of the town.
- ‘You're going to be the belle of the ball,’ Jerry commented in her ear.