An abdominal pain.
- There were no technicians with the latest equipment waiting to help him decipher the coughs, bellyaches, chest pains, dizzy spells and fevers that ailed his patients.
- With a couple hours yet to go in the party, he dressed and pleaded bellyache, then took to his horse to go home.
- The pregnant person scrutinizes every bellyache and back twinge to see if it's a sign of the impending big event.
Complain noisily or persistently: heads of departments bellyaching about lack of resources (as noun bellyaching) there was plenty of bellyaching
More example sentences
- The council chiefs have known about the problem of recycling for quite some time but have chosen to ignore it and now they are bellyaching because they could be liable for a ‘fine’ of around £1, 500,000.
- I will stop bellyaching about the media using my personal life to sell newspapers while posing for cheesy, beefcake photos to sell my new movie.
- Now that police authorities are having to use that money for what it was intended, police officers' pensions, they are bellyaching about it and feeding the public with misinformation in a bid to disguise their own failings.
- Example sentences
- Humour is rarely absent from proceedings - though don't go looking for end-of-the-pier bellyachers.
- The working masochists came off as bellyachers and had a penchant for making people listen to their workplace war stories.
- Played by Alexa Vega, her Julie comes across as a self-obsessed bellyacher who's as sharp as a mouse's belly.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of bellyache in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.