(also belly band)
Definition of bellyband in English:
1A band placed around the belly, in particular.
- Bellybands, tape and bindings are not advisable or helpful even if there is some pouching out of the navel.
- When the childs umbilical cord drops off onto the bellyband, the mother has to watch this so when the cord falls off it can be saved, dried and put away in a safe place.
- There is no medical reason to use tape or a bellyband, but one must decide if you can withstand the family pressure.
1.1A part of a horse’s harness that attaches to the shafts of a cart.
- As soon as he had finished eating, he told me to go out and get the bellyband off the harness.
- The martingale is that piece of leather going from the chinstrap of the bridle to either the chest strap or the bellyband.
- A broad leather bellyband prevented the cart from tipping backwards.
1.3An absorbent cloth strip used to aid in a male dog’s housebreaking.
- Bellybands are intended for use on male dogs to protect furniture and carpet from intentional (marking) or unintentional (incontinence) urination.
- We recommend the use of a bellyband for male dogs while you are training.
- Bellybands are used to help control marking and save the headache and frustration of cleaning up
2.2A printed strip wrapped around a book or magazine for promotional purposes.
- We made a rookie mistake that is delaying our official launch in North America: We put the wrong barcode on our bellyband.
- Each book will be wrapped with a full-color bellyband that proclaims: Coming July 2006, PIRATEOLOGY.
- The magazine issue that launched the campaign was wrapped in a bellyband designed to look like the product itself.
Definition of bellyband in:
- British & World English dictionary