- 1Extending underneath: the tunnel below the crags cables running below the floorboards hanging space below a top storage shelfMore example sentences
- Obvious examples are the excavation of building foundation and tunnels that extend below the water-table.
- There is adequate storage below the berths although hanging locker space is limited and there is no wet locker.
- Catwalks extended across the open spaces below me which were filled with machinery of different kinds.
- 2At a lower level or layer than: just below the pocket was a stain blistered skin below his collarMore example sentences
- There is barely any discernible sensation of the blade below skin level.
- A deep cut could penetrate to the fatty layer below the skin.
- As we were driving through Calcutta, my friend pointed to a little shrine to a god embedded in a wall just below waist level.
- 2.1Lower in grade or rank than: they rated its financial soundness below its competitor’sMore example sentences
- Italy ranks below Botswana, while Namibia scores equal with Greece.
- I have a hard time accepting that we rank below Lithuania, Estonia, Croatia and Slovakia.
- Well, if an officer of your rank, with clout and a good deal of power and influence does not speak out, do you honestly expect that others below your rank would?
- 3Lower than (a specified amount, rate, or norm): below average below freezing a dive to below 60 feetMore example sentences
- Ensure that whatever you do never falls below the standard of your abilities and goals.
- The RUH Trust however denied liability and claimed her treatment did not fall below an acceptable clinical standard.
- There are countless examples of conduct by high profile sports stars that fall well below community standards.
adverbBack to top
- 1At a lower level or layer: he jumped from the window into the moat belowMore example sentences
- It fell a few feet below us, then came zooming back up straight at me.
- So he jumped below and spread the chart of Mag Bay out on the table and yelled soundings and direction to me.
- And one, two three....the young giant leapt into the Sea below.
- 1.1On earth: the lot of all that dwells here belowMore example sentences
- This fascination led me to think deeply about the heavens above and the life forms that surround us here below on earth.
- The Sun had stood before the planet Saturn and here below on Earth the lead could not manifest its activity.
- Would it do any damage to Scripture if we also apply it to all creatures here below?
- 1.2In hell: traitors gnash their teeth belowMore example sentences
- Time to speak the spell and make the benediction to awaken the demons below and use their fiery breath to light the fires.
- As soon as the sinner comes up for breath, the demons below thrust him back underneath with their prongs.
- Passages led from 'the four corners of the earth' to the realm of demons below.
- 1.3Lower than zero (especially zero degrees Fahrenheit) in temperature: there’s a north wind blowing, and it’s 30 belowMore example sentences
- Clerk of the course Bill Farnsworth took the decision to abandon after temperatures had fallen to below freezing overnight.
- I can't even imagine the wind chill being 50 below, with a temp in the mid -30s.
- 1.4(In printed text) mentioned later or further down on the same page: our nutritionist is pictured below right the most common methods are shown belowMore example sentences
underneath, following, further on, at a later point
- Examine the vignettes below and then read the discussion that follows.
- By filling out the form below and then submitting it, you can report any injury or death involving consumer products to us, or report an unsafe product to us.
- You have the option of clicking on the subjects below or simply reading the interview from the beginning.
- 1.5 Nautical Below deck: I’ll go below and fix us a drinkMore example sentences
- The wind at the time the captain went below was blowing a fresh breeze from east-north-east, with a heavy sea, which increased to a violent gale; he was, however, not called until 2 o'clock.
- We did not think it very serious so went below again cursing the iceberg for disturbing us.
- I went below to rest, because I would be on watch later.
below (the) ground
- Beneath the surface of the ground: 60 feet below groundMore example sentences
- The finished museum, with five storeys above ground and one storey below ground, will resemble a huge ship.
- Working off the ground, below the ground, or with powerful tools and equipment is dangerous work.
- Yes, in fact here in Perth they already drain it straight into what we call the aquifer which is where the ground water is situated below ground.