Definition of bench press in English:
A bodybuilding and weightlifting exercise in which a lifter lies on a bench with feet on the floor and raises a weight with both arms.
- When it comes time to test your strength for the bench press, squat or deadlift, timing can be everything.
- Whether performed with a barbell or dumbbells, at an incline, flat or at a decline, the bench press is an exercise you don't want to overlook.
- When an individual has to prove their worth in terms of strength, they inevitably turn to the most hallowed of exercises, the bench press.
verb(bench-press) [with object] Back to top
Raise (a weight) in a bench press: Josh can bench-press more than 400 pounds [no object]: my elbow hurts when I bench-press
More example sentences
- Did you know most really good pro boxers cannot even bench-press their own weight?
- He lifts weights and can bench-press five reps of 185 pounds.
- You're never too old to bench-press a few pounds.
Definition of bench press in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.