Definition of bench press in English:
A bodybuilding and weightlifting exercise in which a lifter lies on a bench with feet on the floor and raises a weight with both arms.
- When it comes time to test your strength for the bench press, squat or deadlift, timing can be everything.
- Whether performed with a barbell or dumbbells, at an incline, flat or at a decline, the bench press is an exercise you don't want to overlook.
- When an individual has to prove their worth in terms of strength, they inevitably turn to the most hallowed of exercises, the bench press.
verb(bench-press) [with object] Back to top
Raise (a weight) in a bench press: Josh can bench-press more than 400 pounds [no object]: my elbow hurts when I bench-press
More example sentences
- Did you know most really good pro boxers cannot even bench-press their own weight?
- He lifts weights and can bench-press five reps of 185 pounds.
- You're never too old to bench-press a few pounds.
Definition of bench press in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan