nounNorth American • informal
- A sports player who does not get selected to play; a substitute.More example sentences
- On his watch, the better players reportedly grossed $1,000 per month, while benchwarmers averaged $600.
- Compare the top quarterback in a minor football league to a benchwarmer with the Dallas Cowboys, for instance.
- What's more, he had done this - reducing the role of former stars while adding playing time and instilling confidence in former benchwarmers - while keeping the team cohesive, upbeat, and reading from the same playbook.
More definitions of benchwarmerDefinition of benchwarmer in:
- The British & World English dictionary