Definition of beneficent in English:
1(Of a person) generous or doing good.
- From the 1970s, beneficent citizens who resented the way in which a few outdoor advertising corporations were allowed to control public spaces began to answer back.
- Maybe she had, but I'd forgotten, or at least not made the association between that beneficent patron of my childhood and the old man at the awards ceremony.
- And if God is not beneficent and all-powerful - well, what then of God's traditional identity, his essence?
1.1Resulting in good: a beneficent democracy
More example sentences
- The focus of the literature is upon the beneficent impact of democracy on the relations between liberal states.
- He did not prohibit smoking - only the advent of our new, democratic, accessible, devolved parliament has provoked this beneficent prospect.
- Liberal, beneficent, and traditional ideas have returned to their rightful place through the dispersal of the odious and despicable factions which sought to overawe the Councils.
Early 17th century: from Latin beneficent- (stem of beneficentior, comparative of beneficus 'favorable, generous'), from bene facere 'do good (to)'.
- Example sentences
- It affects those who are the beneficiaries of the charity's functions, beneficence and bounty.
- Victims live in fear while repeat violators enjoy the benefits of parole under the beneficence of liberal magistrates.
- The economic and social power of Church beneficence exposed the poverty of public provision for the poor.
- Example sentences
- From his casual podium high-stool, inclined to squeak during exciting passages, he leans beneficently towards his adoring players ensuring them that ‘Brahms must always be romantic and sentimental'.
- Libertarians emphasize that ‘spontaneous ‘social order can function beneficently based on the legal principles they favor.’
- North American missionaries cannot afford to assume either that their roles are above and beyond the projects of the world or that their ministries will be beneficently viewed apart from such ‘signs of the times.’
Words that rhyme with beneficentmaleficent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan