Definition of bento in English:
noun (plural bentos)
1A lacquered or decorated wooden Japanese lunchbox.
- Try simple but sturdy wood or craft-paper boxes, picnic baskets, bamboo steamers, lunch boxes, Japanese bento boxes, or even plastic wastepaper baskets.
- The importance of presentation is equally apparent on a smaller scale, in the famous Japanese bento box (for a lunch or picnic).
- ‘Oh, sure, I'd like that,’ I said as I reached for my bento box.
1.1A Japanese-style packed lunch, consisting of such items as rice, vegetables, and sashimi (raw fish with condiments).
- Of course there is more to a bento than the rice, and the accompaniments (called o-kazu in Japanese) are many and various.
- The next step is likely to be Japanese-style foods, such as bento boxed rice lunches.
- The matsu bento features attractive tuna and salmon sashimi, accompanied by a butterfly shrimp and zucchini tempura with a side bowl of dipping sauce.
Definition of bento in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan