- A kind of absorbent clay formed by the breakdown of volcanic ash, used especially as a filler.More example sentences
- Sedimentary rocks such as mudstones often contain a variety of clay minerals, including swelling clays such as bentonite.
- I work with a low-fire clay body consisting of ball clay, talc and bentonite.
- Three types of soils, residual soils, kaolinite and bentonite, were used in the study.
late 19th century: from the name of Fort Benton in Montana, where it is found, + -ite1.
More definitions of bentoniteDefinition of bentonite in:
- The British & World English dictionary