Definition of benzaldehyde in English:
A colorless liquid aldehyde with the odor of bitter almonds, used in the manufacture of dyes and perfumes.
- Chemical formula: C6H5CHO
- In 1933, while researching the effects of high pressure on chemical reactants, a fellow scientist managed to produce a waxy solid from ethylene and benzaldehyde.
- It is thought that the distinguishing volatile compounds include the volatile phenols, benzaldehyde, vinylbenzene, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl vanillate, and methyl vanillate.
- This herb contains amygdalin which hydrolizes into benzaldehyde and hydrocyanic acid.
Definition of benzaldehyde in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.