Definition of benzoin in English:
1 (also gum benzoin) A fragrant gum resin obtained from a tropical tree of eastern Asia, used in medicines, perfumes, and incense. Also called gum benjamin.
- This is obtained from several species of the genus Styrax, family Styracaceae, in particular S. benzoin
- Maceration is the only feasible method of producing a tincture from an unorganized drug such as gum benzoin or propolis resin.
- When the mixture begins to cool, add twelve drops of lemon juice and six drops of tincture of benzoin, while still continuing to stir.
- With every step a new aroma seemed to leap out of the darkness - succulent summer flowers here, earthy woods there, benzoin, pumpkin spice even.
2 Chemistry A white crystalline aromatic ketone present in gum benzoin.
- Alternative name: 2-hydroxy-1,2-diphenylethanone; chemical formula: C6H5CHOHCOC6H5
- Although benzoin and benzoic acid had been called aromatics before 1820, it was not until the 1850s that benzene and its derivatives were placed in the chemical family of aromatics.
- Benzoin and its derivatives are used as intermediates for the synthesis of organic compounds and as catalysts in photopolymerization.
- Stereochemically and functionally rich polycyclic compounds are obtained by the first crossed aldehyde-ketone benzoin reaction in excellent yield under mild reaction conditions.
Mid 16th century: from French benjoin, based on Arabic lubānjāwī 'incense of Java'.
Definition of benzoin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.