Definition of bestow in English:
Confer or present (an honor, right, or gift): the office was bestowed on him by the chief of state thank you for this honor that you have bestowed upon me figurative she bestowed her nicest smile on Jim
More example sentences
- Lavish gifts are bestowed upon visitors, guests, and distant cousins alike.
- Warmest congratulations to Jarlath on this very special honour which is being bestowed on him this weekend.
- Too many honours have been bestowed on him, surely he should say enough is enough.
- Example sentences
- Indeed, if my dear husband is reading, the previous sentence does not apply to you, as the regular bestowal of gifts is part of the marriage contract.
- It has now become a rich and integral part of the fabric of communal life, acknowledged nationally on a number of occasions, by the bestowal of AIMS awards, the Oscars of the amateur musical stage.
- The goddess is now depicted as a blind power, and hence as completely careless and indiscriminate in the bestowal of her gifts.
Middle English bistowen (in the sense 'use for, devote to'): from be- (as an intensifier) + stowen 'to place', from Old English stōw 'place'.
Words that rhyme with bestowaglow, ago, alow, although, apropos, art nouveau, Bamako, Bardot, beau, Beaujolais Nouveau, below, blow, bo, Boileau, bons mots, Bordeaux, Bow, bravo, bro, cachepot, cheerio, Coe, crow, Defoe, de trop, doe, doh, dos-à-dos, do-si-do, dough, dzo, Flo, floe, flow, foe, foreknow, foreshow, forgo, Foucault, froe, glow, go, good-oh, go-slow, grow, gung-ho, Heathrow, heave-ho, heigh-ho, hello, ho, hoe, ho-ho, jo, Joe, kayo, know, lo, low, maillot, malapropos, Marceau, mho, Miró, mo, Mohs, Monroe, mot, mow, Munro, no, Noh, no-show, oh, oho, outgo, outgrow, owe, Perrault, pho, po, Poe, pro, quid pro quo, reshow, righto, roe, Rouault, row, Rowe, sew, shew, show, sloe, slow, snow, so, soh, sow, status quo, stow, Stowe, strow, tally-ho, though, throw, tic-tac-toe, to-and-fro, toe, touch-and-go, tow, trow, undergo, undersow, voe, whacko, whoa, wo, woe, Xuzhou, yo, yo-ho-ho, Zhengzhou, Zhou
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.