1A crystalline compound with basic properties found in many plant juices.
- The physiological characterization of transgenic plants suggested that betaine might accelerate protein synthesis de novo during recovery from stress.
- Many plant species accumulating betaine inhabit saline and arid areas and accumulate the compound in response to drought and salinity.
- They also supply betaine - the methyl donator, which the body uses for rebuilding joints and protecting the liver from a variety of chemicals, including alcohol and steroids.
1.1Any zwitterionic compound of the type represented by betaine.
- There are anionic, zwitterionic (such as betaines), cationic and non-ionic species which may be admixed with the primary surfactant.
- He recently described the simultaneous analysis of underivatized sugars, polyols, proline analogues, and betaines in plant extracts by HPLC although the method suffered from interference by amino acids.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of betaine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.