Definition of betony in English:
noun (plural betonies)
1A Eurasian plant of the mint family that bears spikes of showy purple flowers.
- Stachys officinalis, family Labiatae
- It also comes with a free dime-bag of ‘nicotine-free smoking blend consisting of a mixture of wood betony, rosemary, thyme and lavender.’
- Peppermint, betony and sunflower teas can take a little milk.
- Bithwind Bindweed Bitony Wood betony, Stachys Betonica, known as bishopswort, highly popular cure although especially used for headaches.
1.1Used in names of plants that resemble the betony, e.g., wood betony.
- Cancer the Crab - June 22 - July 22, ruling the stomach peristalsis, lower part of the lungs, breasts, esophagus, diaphragm, liver, stomach: daisy, agrimony, alder, lemon balm, water lilies, rushes, cucumbers, squashes, melons, water plants, water betony, honeysuckle, hyssop, jasmine.
Middle English: from Old French betoine, based on Latin betonica, perhaps from the name of an Iberian tribe.
Words that rhyme with betonyAnthony
Definition of betony in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.