Definition of bewilder in English:
verb[with object] (often as adjective bewildered)
Cause (someone) to become perplexed and confused: she seemed frightened and bewildered his reaction had bewildered her (as adjective bewildering) there is a bewildering array of desserts to choose from
More example sentences
- You sense the reaction to the pool closure has surprised and perhaps bewildered the council.
- The chief executive said he was bewildered by the government decision.
- With success came prize money, and he was bewildered by the commercialism of the western world.
informal flummox, faze, stump, beat, fox, make someone scratch their head, be all Greek to, floor, discombobulate
baffled, mystified, bemused, perplexed, puzzled, confused, nonplussed, dumbfounded, at sea, at a loss, disorientated, taken aback
informal flummoxed, bamboozled
Late 17th century: from be- 'thoroughly' + obsolete wilder 'lead or go astray', of unknown origin.
- Example sentences
- I was still young enough to believe - bewilderedly, arrogantly, passionately - that through sheer force of will, I could bend the world to my ambition.
- Tourists stand and look bewilderedly at the structure.
- Shaking her head bewilderedly, Annie said ‘No, I don't understand.’
- Example sentences
- But a simple request for a list of the 40 cyclists who have been prevented from racing for excessive haematocrit levels since 1997 produced a bewilderingly response.
- There are other failures: the plot is bewilderingly complicated, condensed, and foreshortened.
- Drawn pages were on display as artworks, in their original size so that one could get up close and examine the often bewilderingly intricate line work.
Words that rhyme with bewilderbuilder, guilder, Hilda, Matilda, St Kilda, Tilda, tilde
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan