An athletic contest combining two events, especially cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.
More example sentences
- One of the most exciting events was the biathlon, which combines cross-country skiing with shooting at targets at a range of 50m.
- As in traditional competition, biathlon consists of cross-country skiing and shooting.
- Eight biathlon events, 12 cross country ski races and three Nordic combined events were held on the 31 kilometer course.
- More example sentences
- Four of the top US biathletes will comprise the World Cup team for the competitions prior to Christmas.
- ‘I've known all along that my shooting was the weakest link in making me a successful biathlete,’ he admits.
- And it was not only an interservice competition, for we also competed with some of Australia's finest biathletes and cross-country skiers.
Definition of biathlon in:
- The British & World English dictionary