- A court usher held a copy of the bible to her right hand for the woman to take the oath.
- You won't find the Apocrypha in most bibles, as for Christians of the Reformation it is not regarded as Scripture.
- It shows an African man from the waist up, holding a bible, with his arms extended and raised.
- This is the bible of pregnancy books, answering virtually every question you could ever think of. A great resource.
- But I was also obsessed with the possibility of the future turning out to be horrible - so I carried around 1984, Farenheit 451 and Brave New World like they were my Bibles.
- The Les Routiers guide - one of the few bibles of the catering and accommodation world - contains 600 entries, covering hotels, restaurants, inns, B and Bs and cafes.
- Altogether, nearly eleven million Bibles and Scripture portions were distributed in 40 languages to 126 countries.
- We will import no missionaries, distribute no Bibles.
- It's hopefully safe to assume that though the Bibles are new, they will not be ‘improved.’
Middle English: via Old French from ecclesiastical Latin biblia, from Greek biblia 'books', from biblion 'book', originally a diminutive of biblos 'papyrus, scroll', of Semitic origin.
Bible has come via Old French from ecclesiastical Latin biblia, from Greek (ta) biblia ‘(the) books’. The singular biblion was originally a diminutive of biblos ‘papyrus, scroll’, of Semitic origin. There is a link with the Eastern Mediterranean port of Byblos, which was a major exporter of papyrus to Greece. Words like bibliography (early 19th century) come from the same source.
Words that rhyme with Bibleintertribal, libel, scribal, tribal
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.